Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Informal Letter by Angel


The topic was taken fom the red book Test 1, Part 1 (page 14)

Hi Robin
Thank you for the invitation, that would be great because I have never been to Canada and it will surely be very exciting for me as I have never been to the mountains neither in Spain nor abroad so doing sport there with the fresh air would be a very good experience. [This is a good use of neither Angel, well done]
You mentioned the accommodations in your letter and sincerely I’d prefer the room because my experience about sleeping in tents is no very nice: neckache, backache, and lots of mosquito bites. I sure will cook for you typical Spanish dishes. I can cook paella, potato’s omelet and gazpacho which is like a cold tomato soup. Which dish do you prefer?

[When you have something which doesn't translate exactly i.e. potato omelette, it is better to write as you have done with gazpacho, a short description afterwards].


Finally I would like to something there before going to the camp as I won’t go many times to Canada. I would like to visit the city, eat typical Canadian food and maybe go shopping if there is nothing else to do.
Thank you for the invitation again and see you soon.
Angel.

4 comments:

  1. This is very good Angel, there are some minor errors but it's basically a strong letter and you should have no problems if you write something like this in the exam.

    However be careful about translating directly from Spanish e.g. potato's omelete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how to say that hahahah

      Delete
    2. Don't worry. If you don't know how to say it, it's safer to write 'toritilla de patatas' (I hope I spelt that right!) Then write a dish made from egg and potatos. Also it shows that you have

      Delete
    3. enough vocabulary to explain things from your own culture.

      Delete