Thursday, May 31, 2012

Jose is frightened but writing a review, check it out.

REVIEW

The topic was taken from the red book Test 1, Part 2 (page 15)

GLEE
Glee” is a musical TV series set in McKinley High School in Ohio, USA. The TV series combines both drama and comedy stories with complex musical numbers. The starring is formed by Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Jane Lynch, Heather Morris and more stars.

[Star can only be used as a verb in an active tense i.e. the series stared Chris...etc. Or Chris etc. stared in, or Glee stared ... etc. The noun for the list of actors is 'the cast'.] 

The series takes place in a High School of Ohio, and focuses on Glee Club, which is a music choir joined by some friends. The plot is especially based on the based on the love story between Rachel (Lea Michelle) and Finn (Cory Monteith). During the three seasons some celebrities make a cameo, like Lindsay Lohan, Gwyneth Paltrow or Ricky Martin. Also, Glee Club has made several tribute episodes for Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears or Madonna.

Contrasting with nowadays TV series, Glee is different because they plot is continued with some songs (they all are covers), which makes the viewer to love the series and continue watching it.

I would recommend this TV series with any hesitation. The viewer will love how they sing modern songs and also will discover old songs.

[Notice the correct combination of love without preposition in the last paragraph.]


PS: I didn’t know if a TV series is a TV programme, so here I got a question: if in the writing I consider a TV series as a TV programme, and it’s not the same, will I fail all the Writing part, or will they take into account how I write it?

3 comments:

  1. Jose if you get TV series and TV programme confused, Cambridge will not only fail you but they will come round to your house and personally slap you in the face. You should be very frightened.

    Of course you won't get overtly penalised. It's fine + now you know: The dfference in TV terms is a programme is just one and a TV series is several programmes. Usually at least 6.

    This is a good review the only problems are some confusion with prepositions [this is fine at FCE level because it doesn't intefere with the flow of the writing] and one word is used incorrectly. You can rewrite it and post it to this comments section if you like.

    I think you trying to figure out the blog must be the reason why we had 215 visitors yesterday!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I'm so angry with the responsibles of the Cathedral. I wake up by 7:00, got a shower and breakfast, and I went to the Cathedral with my greatest happy-face ever, just to discover that they were making works and I couldn't see San Fernando ....ayayayayayay.
    I should admit that my face went white when I read "if you get TV series and TV programme confused, Cambridge will not only fail you" hahahahahahah. Here I post my re-done homework (both of them):
    GLEE
    “Glee” is a musical TV series set in McKinley High School in Ohio, USA. The TV series combines both drama and comedy stories with complex musical numbers. The casting is formed by Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Jane Lynch, Heather Morris and more stars.

    [Star can only be used as a verb in an active tense i.e. the series stared Chris...etc. Or Chris etc. stared in, or Glee stared ... etc. The noun for the list of actors is 'the cast'.]

    The series takes place in a High School of Ohio, and focuses on Glee Club, which is a music choir joined by some friends. The plot is especially based on the based on the love story between Rachel (Lea Michelle) and Finn (Cory Monteith). During the three seasons some celebrities make a cameo, like Lindsay Lohan, Gwyneth Paltrow or Ricky Martin. Also, Glee Club has made several tribute episodes for Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and Madonna.

    Contrasting with nowadays TV series, Glee is different because they plot is continued with some songs (they all are covers), which makes the viewer love the series and continue watching it.

    I would recommend this TV series with any hesitation. The viewer will love how they sing modern songs and also will discover old songs.



    Dear Robin
    It’s been a long time since I heard from you last time. I would like to thank you for considering me a good person to trust in, especially if we are talking about a sports camp, because I love them. I have been to six sports camps, the last one was held in December, so I maybe have more experience in this topic. Sleeping in a room is not a bad idea, but I think we should sleep in tents, that’s what camps are about, aren’t they? [camps are the subject not the object of this sentence.]

    Cooking is not my specialty, but I’ll try to do my best with the “gazpacho”, soap made of tomatoes and oil, or some “espetos”, which are some sardines put together on a stick.
    I think I’ll travel to Canada a week before the camp, so I can get used to its weather. I would like to visit Toronto, because I’ve loved all I ever seen and heard about this city.

    Thanks you for inviting me again. Remember it's an informal letter.
    See you soon,
    Jose.
    I should admit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Remember that it's very important to read over your work ALWAYS, but ALWAYS x 10 when writing in your second language.

      I say this because there are still a couple of mistakes but I think they are only typos (typing errors).

      I think you will do a great exam, keep viewing presentations and keep up the good work.

      I think I'll probably put some of your ideas into the reporting verbs presentation.

      Delete